Gentle Shepherd Hospice has been closely monitoring the progress of COVID-19 and following all Centers for Disease Control (CDC) guidelines. We have activated our multi-disciplinary emergency preparedness response team to coordinate our efforts in accordance with guidance from the CDC and Virginia Department of Health.
This team will be directing the following efforts:
- Implementing emergency preparedness plans, including review of our supply inventory and infection control policies procedures, and making adjustments as necessary
- Following our standard clinical protocols for preventing the spread of infectious diseases, including proper hand hygiene and appropriate use of personal protection equipment.
- Supplementing our policies and procedures with COVID-19 specific policies as needed, including screening for illness post travel or potential exposure.
- Working with local and national public health resources to ensure we have the most up-to-date information in our approach to managing the spread of the virus.
- Educating patients on symptoms that indicate a need for emergency help or further medical care.
We are also working with our long-term care and nursing facility partners to support their efforts to mitigate the spread of COVID-19, while still providing care for our patients who reside there.
If you are currently a Gentle Shepherd patient or family caregiver of a patient and have questions or concerns, please call your hospice nurse or our main office, 800-789-0856.
Please also do not hesitate to call us if you know someone who needs the support of hospice care during this difficult period. We can help.