We Live to Give
Compassion. Comfort. Hope.
Giving is what directs our hearts and defines our ministry — at the bedside and beyond. As a member of our hospice family, you can also share in serving those in need!
When Gentle Shepherd was founded, Don and Kim pledged to care for others as Jesus did and to devote significant time and money to ministries, missions and community organizations that share our core values. Through our direct efforts and our ministry partners as the “hands and feet of Christ,” we have served millions of people around the world.
An example of our commitment to ministry is a 15-year partnership with The Gideons International through which thousands of bibles have been placed in memory of each of our patients. Through this ministry alone, Gentle Shepherd patients have potentially reached over 18 million souls with God’s word!
Here in our local communities, we also match 100% of employee donations to several other area ministries with which we have long-standing partnerships. We would love for you to join us in living to give!
Don Eckenroth and the LAMP team in Uganda
Life Africa Mission Project (LAMP)
In 2014, Gentle Shepherd Hospice and New Life Christian Ministries joined forces to establish the Life Africa Mission Project (LAMP) in the Mbale region of Uganda. Since then, the mission has touched the lives of thousands of children and adults through nutrition programs, medical care and introducing the gospel.
With faith, unwavering dedication, steadfast leadership and consistent financial support, the mission has become a beacon of hope in rural East Uganda and a model for addressing the crippling effects of poverty and diminished natural and financial resources.
Kim Eckenroth providing medical care in Uganda
Our Community & Mission Collaborators
- New Life Christian Ministries
- Life Center Ministries Africa (LCMA)
- Camp Braveheart
- Straight Street and Street Ransom
- Roanoke Rescue Mission
- International Christian Centers for the Deaf (ICCD)
- Young Life
- Appalachian Teen Challenge
- Gideons International
- The Journey and Spirit FM
- Race for Rwanda
- Blue Ridge Women’s Center
- Business on Mission – Roanoke and New River Valleys
Partner with us for a higher purpose
We welcome the support of our hospice friends and families to serve those in need. Please consider making a gift of love and remembrance as a tribute to your loved one. When you give to Gentle Shepherd Charities, an affiliated 501c3, 100% of your donation goes directly to provide funding for:
- Medications and medical supplies for our under-insured hospice patients
- Community elder care education programs
- Medical and community health education outreach programs in Africa
- Kingdom-building ministries and missionaries
- Local organizations that serve youth, the homeless and underage victims of human trafficking